Welcome to my psychotherapy practice! The following is provided to help you become acquainted with the way I work. Please take the time to read this carefully. I will gladly discuss any of these items with you.
- Effective psychotherapy requires a good match between client and therapist. During our first session we will determine if I am a good choice of therapist for you. If not, I will refer you to a therapist I believe can serve you better.
- Because I divide my time between private practice, workshops, and family, I am not always available for crisis management. Clients who have frequent crises, or who need a lot of between-session therapist support, will be referred to a therapist who is more available for that level of care.
- I assume you wish to begin therapy because you desire certain changes in your life. I will do my best to help you achieve your goals, but I cannot guarantee any particular results. You are likely to gain the most benefit from therapy if you are committed to the process and attend regularly.
- Participating in therapy may involve some discomfort, including remembering and discussing unpleasant experiences and feelings. I encourage you to address any concerns you have about this with me.
- I am certified in Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing (EMDR). EMDR has been clinically proven to accelerate the treatment of a wide variety of problems and self-esteem issues related both to disturbing past traumatic events and present life conditions.
- Since biological factors can contribute to unwanted psychological distress, I may ask about your health. In some cases medical assessment and intervention is helpful and/or necessary.
My session fee is $150.00 per 50 minute session (1 clinical hour), and $225.00 per 80 minute session (1.5 clinical hour).
Payment for therapy is due at the end of each session. Please come prepared to pay by cash, check, or credit card.
In order to provide the best quality of services, I am not contracted with any insurance companies. It is important for me to provide the best treatment for you without giving you a mental health diagnosis. If I were to be contracted with insurance companies, I would be required to share your information with them and diagnose you with an illness. This information stays on your medical record and can be seen by other providers. Even though some people have mental illnesses, many of my clients are just “stuck” in patterns due to difficult experiences or trauma. Diagnosing people for the sake of reimbursement does not align with my values. However, I am happy to give you a receipt for services that you can submit to your insurance company for out-of-network reimbursement.
Short-Notice Cancellation Fee: The scheduling of an appointment involves the reservation of time specifically for you. Cancelling an appointment must be done 1 day (24 hours) prior to your scheduled time. 24 hour cancellation notice is required to avoid being charged the full fee for missed scheduled appointments.
No-show Fee: If you do not show up for a scheduled appointment, you will be charged the full fee for the session.
Phone Consultations: Phone calls lasting more than 15 minutes will be charged the hourly rate.
Reports & Letters: If your insurance company should ask for a letter or report to be mailed on your behalf, you will be billed for the time required to prepare the document, at the hourly rate.
Returned Check: If a check from you is returned by the bank for insufficient funds, you will be responsible for any bank fees charged to my account.
My office hours are Tuesdays and Wednesdays, 9:00am-6:00pm.
I will make every effort to schedule your appointments at times that are convenient.
Clients typically schedule 50 min weekly sessions for therapy, but the length and frequency of your sessions will be your decision. Longer sessions that are scheduled close together tend to result in the most efficient therapeutic outcomes. Occasionally appointments may run over. If you are waiting for your appointment and are concerned that I have not come out to retrieve you, feel free to text me that you are here. Include your name in the text.
If you need to cancel or reschedule an appointment, please give as much notice as possible. Please call or text at least 24 hours before your scheduled appointment to avoid a charge.
Clients arriving late will be responsible for paying the full amount of scheduled time.
Please come prepared to schedule your next appointment at the end of each session.
Except for certain situations, matters shared in counseling sessions will not be disclosed to anyone without your written permission.
Exceptions: Therapists are legally required to report suspected abuse, neglect, or exploitation of a child, an elderly person, or a disabled person to the appropriate agency. Additionally, therapists have a legal and ethical obligation to warn appropriate authorities, family members, and other involved people when a client is seriously considering harming him/herself or others.
Client case notes and records may be subject to subpoena when a client is involved in legal proceedings. Also, therapists may be required to release information to the insurance company that is paying for the treatment.
Phone Calls, Emails, Emergencies, and Between-Session Support
Generally I am not immediately available by telephone, however, I check my messages periodically throughout the day. Please leave a message and include where, when, and how I can reach you in a timely manner. I will return your call within the next business day. If you are in crisis and cannot wait for me to return your call, go to an emergency room or call 911.
If you need to cancel or reschedule an appointment, call my cell phone and leave a message if I do not answer.
Email guidelines: You may email me to make, cancel, or reschedule an appointment, to give me a brief report about your progress, or to ask simple questions that require short answers. However, in-depth therapy issues, questions, and crises are best handled in the therapy session. Please be advised that your confidentiality may be compromised when using email.